ACCT 551 DEVRY FINAL EXAM
ACCT 551 DeVry Final Exam
1. (TCO C) Redstone Company spent $190,000 developing a new process, $45,000 in legal fees to obtain a patent, and $91,000 to market the process that was patented. How should these costs be accounted for in the year they are incurred?
2. (TCO D) Total payroll of Watson Co. was $920,000, of which $160,000 represented amounts paid in excess of $100,000 to certain employees. The amount paid to employees in excess of $7,000 was $720,000. Income taxes withheld were $225,000. The state unemployment tax is 1.2%, the federal unemployment tax is .8%, and the F.I.C.A. tax is 7.65% on an employee’s wages to $100,000 and 1.45% in excess of $100,000.
(a) Prepare the journal entry for the wages and salaries paid.
(b) Prepare the entry to record the employer payroll taxes.
3. (TCO D). Prepare journal entries to record the following retirement. (Show computations and round to the nearest dollar.)
The December 31, 2010 balance sheet of Wolfe Co. included the following items:
7.5% bonds payable due December 31, 2018 $1,200,000
Unamortized discount on bonds payable 48,000
The bonds were issued on December 31, 2008 at 95, with interest payable on June 30 and December 31. (Use straight-line amortization.)
On April 1, 2011, Wolfe retired $240,000 of these bonds at 101 plus accrued interest.
4. (TCO E) Parker Corporation has issued 2,000 shares of common stock and 400 shares of preferred stock for a lump sum of $72,000 cash.
(a) Give the entry for the issuance assuming the par value of the common was $5 and the market value $30, and the par value of the preferred was $40 and the market value $50. (Each valuation is on a per share basis and there are ready markets for each stock.)
(b) Give the entry for the issuance assuming the same facts as (a) above except the preferred stock has no ready market value, and the common stock has a market value of $25 per share.
5. (TCO F) The stockholder’s equity section of Lemay Corp shows the following on Dec 31, 2011:
Preferred stock- 6% $100 par, $4000 shares outstanding $400,000
Common Stock-$10 par, 60,000 shares outstanding $600,000
Paid-in capital in excess of par $200,000
Retained earnings $114,000
Total stockholders’ equity $1,314,000
Assuming that all of the company’s retained earnings are to be paid out in dividends on 12/31/11 and that preferred dividends were last paid on 12/31/09, show how much the preferred and common stockholders should receive if the preferred stock is cumulative and fully more info participating.
6. (TCO A) At December 31, 2010, Sager Co. had 1,200,000 shares of common stock outstanding. In addition, Sager had 450,000 shares of preferred stock which were convertible read more into 750,000 shares of common stock. During 2011, Sager paid ACCT551DeVryFinalExam $600,000 cash dividends on the common stock and $400,000 cash dividends on the preferred stock. Net income for 2011 was $3,400,000 and the income tax rate was 40%. What would be the diluted earnings per share for 2011 (rounded to the nearest penny)? Please show all computations.
Tags: ACCT 551, ACCT 551 DeVry, ACCT 551 DeVry Final Exam, ACCT 551 Final Exam, ACCT551, ACCT551DeVry, ACCT551DeVryFinalExam, ACCT551FinalExam
ACCT 551 DEVRY FINAL EXAM